Salary $35,630.40 - $52,166.40 Annually
Location Davenport - 52806 - Scott County, IA
Job Type Full-time
Agency 645 Iowa Department of Transportation
Job Number 19-02393
Closing 4/25/2019 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact Clyde Tobey - firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the Iowa DOT is to get you there safely, efficiently and conveniently. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day.
The Iowa Department of Transportation's Highway Division is made up of more than 1,000 employees. These dedicated folks provide the support and services to maintain 114,000 lane miles of roadway with over 4,000 pieces of equipment located in more than 150 facilities statewide.
As a Highway Technician Associate you'll contribute to DOT's mission by conducting year-round repairs and preventive maintenance of state highways such as:
- Operating large equipment for shoulder work, grading, paving, right of way work and bridge projects.
- Operate snow and ice removal equipment.
- Performing routine bridge inspections.
- Completing routine maintenance and servicing of DOT equipment and vehicles.
- Setting up traffic control to keep your team and the traveling public safe.
- Responding to roadway emergencies.
- Occasionally travel overnight.
Whatever the challenge, you'll be helping travelers get where they need to go safely. What could be more rewarding than that? So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Graduation from high school or G.E.D.;
experience equal to one year of full-time work in highway maintenance or equipment operation may be substituted for each year of the required high school education
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description. (Download PDF reader)
Additional Qualification Requirements
- Positions in this class require possession of a valid Commercial Learner's Permit upon hire. Within a timeframe determined by the appointing authority, a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License with the required endorsements and applicable restrictions must be obtained and subsequently maintained in order to continue employment.
- In conjunction with Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (parts 40 and 382), this job requires a pre-employment drug screen and will require ongoing participation in the employer's random drug and alcohol testing program and will be subject to the regulations regarding the Federal drug and alcohol testing program.
- Prior to starting employment all persons are required to have a post offer, pre-employment physical verifying the physical ability to perform the duties described.
- Within a period of time as determined by the appointing authority, designated positions are required to have and maintain a current Herbicide Applicator certification from the Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship.
- Employees must be able to travel and may be required to stay away from home overnight during assignments.
- Within a timeframe as determined by the appointing authority, employees are required to reside within 30 minutes driving time, during normal conditions, from assigned work location.
- Employees must respond to emergency situations as required.
- Employees must be able to work up to 16 consecutive hours.
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.