Manatt’s is a third-generation family-owned business based on personal and professional trust, respect, and support. People are the foundation of our company. We work together and play together. We understand the importance of individual needs and giving back to both our people and communities. To carry on these long-standing company values, we’re looking for an Environmental Specialist to be based in Brooklyn, Iowa.
The successful candidate will develop and lead the implementation of a strategy to ensure Manatt’s Inc. maintains a culture of environmental awareness. This position will function as a technical specialist and be responsible for anything and everything related to compliance, environmental training, emergency response, incident investigations, and much more. Here is a partial list of responsibilities:
- Direct the implementation of company environmental policies and practices to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and permit requirements as they apply to maintenance shops, bridge construction, and asphalt, concrete, and aggregate operations.
- Consult with business leaders to make and implement decisions related to and maintain programs in air quality, solid waste, storm water quality, petroleum storage, and other areas of environmental concern, as needed.
- Interact with numerous agencies, clients, and employees to verify compliance, obtain approvals, conduct reviews and inspections, and prepare responses in a timely manner.
- Act as a liaison between senior management and employees on matters relating to the environment.
- Direct the inspection of company facilities and jobsites to detect existing or potential environmental concerns and determine corrective or preventive measures.
- Respond to, lead the investigation of, and file necessary reporting for environmental accidents.
- Review material and evidence prepared for use in reporting incidents, hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations.
- Represent company interests at DNR and industry association meetings.
- Drive the evolution of our strategies to develop a culture of environmental awareness and accountability in everything we do.
- Advocate for business priorities, requesting and negotiating permit variances as needed.
- Actively seek new and innovative ways to create and improve environmentally compliant work practices and standards to protect the company’s employees and assets.
- Educate employees across our company through interactive training events both on-the-job and at full-company meetings.
- B.S. in environmental science, environmental planning, or environmental/civil engineering preferred with at least 2 years of experience in the Midwest.
- Experience with air permitting (minor source), storm water quality (GP2 and GP3), floodplain management, 404 permitting, SPCC regulations, AST approvals and registrations, and UST registrations and insurance renewals.
- General knowledge of the USACE, USEPA, and state and local regulatory agencies, their respective permitting processes and requirements.
- Knowledge of and ability to assess how construction projects may impact soils, water, wildlife and/or fisheries.
- Knowledge of and experience implementing the written plans and physical controls needed to address potential impacts.
- Experience with GIS software and/or other mapping tools preferred.
- Ability to manage in a dynamic team environment, work under pressure to meet deadlines, and work effectively and professionally in a variety of collaborations (with business leaders, regulators, public officials, consultants, clients, etc).
- Experience successfully navigating a highly matrixed organization with multiple leaders in a diverse portfolio of businesses.
- Experience in reporting writing: an ability to summarize an incident in relation to facility history and company best practices, incorporating root cause analysis and actions taken.
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to collaborate with a team.
- Ability to manage multiple critical projects simultaneously.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.