Salary $36,379.20 - $53,268.80 Annually
Location Fort Dodge - 50501 - Webster County, IA
Job Type Full-time
Agency 645 Iowa Department of Transportation
Job Number 20-02345
Closing 4/5/2020 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact Mike Roller - Michael.Roller@iowadot.us
The mission of the Iowa DOT is to get you there safely, efficiently and conveniently. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day.
This position operates equipment/performs physical activities in the maintenance of roadway, roadside, right of way, shoulder, bridge and highway grading/paving projects; performs routine bridge inspections, traffic control. Performs duties related to snow and ice removal; operates snow/ice removal equipment to prepare/spread abrasives and de-icing chemicals on the roadway.
Lifting: Ability to perform heavy work, occasionally (1-33% of the time) lifting/lowering, carrying and pushing/pulling various items/using force from 50 - 100 lbs. Team lift or mechanical assist recommended for weights over 75 lbs.
CDL: Possess a valid Commercial Learner's Permit upon hire; within 45 calendar days following appointment, a valid Class B CDL with the required endorsements and applicable restrictions must be obtained and maintained until getting your Class A CDL; and within five (5) months following appointment, a valid Class A CDL with the required endorsements and applicable restrictions must be obtained and maintained in order to continue employment.
Drug & Alcohol Testing: Requires a pre-employment drug screen and will require ongoing participation in the employer's random drug and alcohol testing program and will be subject to the regulations regarding the Federal drug and alcohol-testing program.
Herbicide: Within a period of time as determined by the appointing authority, will be required to have and maintain a current Herbicide Applicator certification.
- Post offer, pre-employment physical.
- Within 5 months of appointment, must reside within 30 minutes driving time, during normal conditions, from assigned work location.
- Must respond to emergency situations as required.
- Must be able to work up to 16 consecutive hours.
- Some overnight travel may be required.
Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, hours may vary and subject to call 24 hours a day during emergency conditions.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
- Graduation from high school, GED, or equivalency.
- A total of four years of education and/or full-time experience, where one year of high school education equals one year of full-time work in highway maintenance or equipment operation.
Additional Qualification Requirements
- Positions in this class require possession of a valid Commercial Learner's Permit upon hire. Within a timeframe determined by the appointing authority, a valid Commercial Driver's License with the required endorsements and applicable restrictions must be obtained and subsequently maintained to continue employment.
- In conjunction with Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (parts 40 and 382), this job requires a pre-employment drug screen and will require ongoing participation in the employer's random drug and alcohol testing program and will be subject to the regulations regarding the Federal drug and alcohol testing program.
- Prior to starting employment, all persons are required to have a post offer, pre-employment physical verifying the physical ability to perform the duties described.
- Within a period of time after hire, as determined by the appointing authority, employees in this class may be required to obtain and maintain Herbicide Applicator certification from the Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship.
- Positions require certification for testing materials and operating specialized equipment as required by the Iowa Department of Transportation's Technical Training and Certification Program for Highway Materials and Construction; and/or other certifications as required.
- Travel, including overnight travel, may be required for positions in this class. Employees must arrange transportation to and from assigned work areas.
- Within a timeframe determined by the appointing authority, employees in designated positions are required to reside within 30 minutes driving time, during normal conditions, from the assigned work location.
- Employees must respond to emergency situations as required.
- Employees must be able to work up to 16 consecutive hours.
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.